Portable Document Format (PDF) is one of the most popular file formats, and most people prefer to have maximum flexibility when loading and editing PDF files. To get this flexibility, you need an open-source PDF editor.
This article discusses some of the best open-source PDF editors you can use. Read on!
LibreOffice is one of the best open-source PDF editors used by businesses and individuals. It has an interface that makes it easy to use, and you can begin to use the software once it is downloaded and installed. LibreOffice supports Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
Features Of LibreOffice
- You can add your logo or watermark to any PDF you create or edit.
- You can whiteout specific or entire sections of a PDF document while editing them.
- You can add a section for images and text anywhere inside a PDF document.
- You can add or remove pages of a PDF document.
- You can convert PDF files to other file formats.
- You can edit documents in different file formats and export them as PDFs.
Inkscape was initially designed for editing vectors and other graphics but has since become one of the best-known PDF editors. It has an in-built PDF editor that caters to many PDF functions but comes in handy for graphic designers who want to create graphic designs or work with large files that incorporate graphics. It is a cross-platform software that supports Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Features Of Inkscape
- You can use it to edit all areas of the PDF.
- You can save your files as PDF or PNG, depending on the type of project you execute.
- It is a lightweight software that takes up a little space in your hard drive.
- You can add various scripting add-ons and plugins.
- You can manipulate graphics in the PDF.
- You can split pages and add comments, annotations, and others.
PDFsam Basic is a free, open-source PDF editor you can use to edit, create, convert, and combine files. It is easy to use and does not require the use of the cloud to store files. PDFsam Basic software is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
Features Of PDFsam Basic
- You can delete or crop pages of your PDF files.
- It has a simple interface that makes navigation easy.
- You can split or merge pages of your PDF files.
- You can easily convert files of other formats to PDFs.
- You can add your digital signature and watermarks to PDF files.
- You can reorder pages of your PDF files without manually shuffling.
Okular is an open-source PDF editor with modern features you would only expect to find in enterprise editors like Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat. It is easy to use and is suitable for people who work on PDF-based ebooks. Okular is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
Features Of Okular
- You can create a content section for your PDF files. This feature comes in handy if you are handling a large project.
- You can edit texts in your PDF files.
- It has editing features you can use to perfect your PDF files before saving or sharing them.
- You can create custom markers that make navigation easier in large PDFs.
- You can use it to write books and manage PDFs.
Apache OpenOffice Draw is one of the best open-source PDF editors and can be a suitable alternative to Microsoft Word. Although you can use it to create or edit graphics, it comes with tools for editing PDFs and exporting them to other formats. Apache OpenOffice Draw is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
Features Of Apache OpenOffice Draw
- It has an in-built spell checker.
- You can add graphics to PDF files.
- You can add annotations, merge or append files.
- You can edit, add, delete, and rotate images and graphic designs.
- You can add styles or formatting to PDF files.
- You can export PDF files to other formats.
6 Skim (Only for MacOS)
Skim is an open-source PDF editor you should use if you own a Mac or iOS device. Although its usage is limited to these devices, it has features that make it stand out among PDF editors. Skim is easy to use, and you can easily navigate between the pages of your PDF files.
Features Of Skim
- It has a highlighter that you can use to note important content.
- You can easily take snapshots of your PDF files.
- It has cropping tools you can use to crop certain sections or entire pages of your PDF.
- You can easily navigate between pages using a table of contents.
- You can allow other people to view and edit PDF files.
PDFedit is free, open-source software you can use to view and edit PDF files. It has some good features, including extracting specific content from PDF files. PDFedit is available for Windows and Linux computers.
Features Of PDFedit
- You can protect your PDF files with a password, even if they are not yours.
- It has an easy-to-use interface.
- It is lightweight and does not take up much space on devices.
- You can personalize the PDF files you open.
- You can delete specific text, pictures, or charts from PDFs.
- You can use it to debug your PDFs to remove errors.
In this article, we have discussed some of the best open-source PDF editors you can find. It is up to you to choose which is the most suitable.
You may also like to read: