There are several instances where the video is too large in size and we need to reduce the size without compromising on the quality. This is the situation where we need Video Compression Software to reduce the size of the video keeping the quality intact. Also, it is always good to compress video and upload it on your website, as it improves websites speed which is one of the top requirement for website SEO, now a days.
What is Video Compression Software?
Video Compression Software allows users to reduce the size of their video files by manipulating their resolution, format, and size. It helps you to convert videos in your desired output format which could be MP3, FLV, 4K, or MP4 Compressor tools. Basically, it will analyze the number of pixels in a single frame of video and compresses the video by bringing similar pixels together in batches to make a larger block.
Below is the list of Top 5 Best Free Video Compression Software for Windows:
1) VideoProc (Free Trial available)
It is built with an advanced video compression algorithm whic is a perfect solution when it comes to editing oversized videos recorded from GoPro, DJI, 4K cameras, denoising, filtering, cutting, splitting, subtitling and merging.
- Built in 370+ video and audio codecs
- Efficient Online and Offline Video Conversion and Compression
- Record video from computer’s screen or webcam
- Operating System: Windows and Mac
Pricing: Free trial version available with Premium version starting from $29.95
2) Handbrake (Free)
Handbrake is an open-source software and one of the best video compression software that is available for free. Handbrake contains various settings for the compression of various devices and contains a live preview for the compression.
- Supported input sources – DVD or BluRay and multimedia files
- Video bitrate encoding
- Video filters – cropping, scaling, decomb and deinterlacing etc.
- Operating System: Windows, Linux, iOS, MacOS
3) Avidemux (Free)
Avidemux is one of the best free video compression software available online which is specially designed to handle multiple tasks such as encoding, cutting and filtering with utmost efficiency and ease.
- Supports multiple video formats.
- Features job queues and projects that allow users to automate the video processing tasks.
- Comes with options to modify bit rate, frame rate, codec and more
- Operating System: Windows, Linux, and Mac
4) Movavi Video Converter (Free Trial Available)
Movavi Video Converter allows high quality video compression in different formats between 180+ video, audio, and graphics formats. It supports wide range of format for iPad, iPod, cellphones, PC, and Mac.
- You can edit files before converting them like adjusting colors, enhancing audio and much more.
- It produces high quality conversion of video clips.
- Supports Intel, Nvidia and AMD
Pricing: Trial version is free. Paid version starts at one year license for one PC at $39.95, Lifetime plan at $49.95
5) Freemake Video Converter (Free)
Freemake Video Converter allows you to compress your MP4 video file to formats including MP4, AVI, MPG, WMV, ROM and others. It is one of the best free video converters available only for Windows PCs and laptops as of now.
- Download and convert 4K videos.
- Supports over 500 output format
- Cut, join, and rotate clips
6. VLC (Free)
Yes, you have read it right, we can also use VLC media player to compress video files.
VLC is an open-source media player with additional editing and converting features. It’s free and does not include a watermark on output files, and many users report that the interface is simple and straightforward.
- Compressing the video's file size by converting it to a compress video format.
- Multiple video format outputs and X264 Encoding support
- Simple interface
- Available for Mac, Windows and Linux.
Apart from the above mentioned software, you can also try online Video Compressor tools like
Which allows you to reduce size of video for free and without installing any softwares.
You may also like to read: