In one of our previous article, we have explained how you can disable windows updates completly in Windows 10, now in this article, I have provided steps to disable or turning off real time protection in Windows 10.
Before you Turn Windows Defender Off, you should know, this is default app to manage security of your windows and it defends your PC in real-time from threats like Virus, Malwares etc, to your PC safe.
Turn off Real Time Protection in Windows 10 using Security Settings
- Open Settings -> Windows Security -> Click "Virus & Threat Protection", as shown in the below image
- Under "Virus and Threat Protection Settings, click on "Manage Settings"
- You will "Real-Time Protection" checkbox, which is by default Turned On (Blue color background), click on it to Turn it Off.
- That's it, your Real-time protection is Turned Off, you can Turn it On again by setting Toggle to On.
Note: If you are using any Anti-Virus Software, then Real-Time proctection is handled by that Software, like Avira-Antivirus and you need to Disable Real-time protection using it.
Disable Real-time Protection using RegEdit
There is one more way to turning off real-time proctection which is using RegEdit, which is not easier as above but might work to completly and permanently turning it off. Here are the steps which you will need to Follow
- Open up the registry editor with Start -> In the Search type "Regedit", select the first result.
- Navigate to Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Policies -> Microsoft -> Windows Defender
- Navigate to Real-Time Protection. If the key doesn't exist, create it under the Windows Defender folder. (Note, the space between "Time" and "Protection")
- Inside Real-Time Protection, add a new DWORD value.
- Name it DisableRealtimeMonitoring and give it a value of 1.
- Once done, Reboot your System
By Using above RegEdit steps, you will disable Real-Time protection of Windows Defender. It will alow Windows Defender to run on-demand, but in settings you can check, Real-time protection is turned Off.
Note: In newer version of Windows 10, Tamper Protection was added by Microsoft, which may prevent you from disabling Real-time protection, so you must turn-off Tamper proctection first, otherwise group policy will be ignored.
To Disable Tamper protection
- Open Windows Security (type Windows Security in the search box)
- Virus & threat protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Manage settings
- Switch Tamper Protection to Off
To permanently disable real-time protection (For New Windows versions):
- Open Local Group Policy Editor (type gpedit in the search box)
- Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Microsoft Defender Antivirus > Real-time Protection
- Enable Turn off real-time protection
In newer versions of Windows, Group Policy settings for Microsoft Defender are reverted back.
To prevent this, before changing them:
- Open Resource Monitor (type resmon.exe in the search box)
MsMpEng.exein the list
- Right-click -> Suspend Process
That's it, hope it helps you to turn on-off real-time protection in Windows 10, but it is ideal to keep your real-time protection on always.
You may also like to read:
How to Turn Off Windows 10 automatic updates
How to find Wifi password on windows?
Top 5 Free Evernote Alternatives