In previous article, I mentioned DataGrip vs DBeaver (Comparison) but now in this article, I have mentioned best database comparison tool (free or paid), which a DBA or developer must use to compare schema
Data comparison involves checking for the structural differences between two databases: the source database and the target database. By default, two databases must be compatible for database comparison to be possible. However, you can still compare data using comparison tools when two databases are non-compatible.
So, what are the best and most reliable database comparison tools for developers and DBAs to compare database schemas and propagate schema changes from one environment to another? You will discover them and get detailed information about them in this post.
What Are Data Comparison Tools?
Database comparison tools are database management tools for comparing one database to another. They report similarities and differences between two databases and come in handy during a database updates examination.
Although you can check the differences between two databases manually without using database comparison tools, it takes more time and effort and is less reliable. Therefore, database comparison tools remain the best and the most reliable method. Let’s briefly see how database comparison tools work before discussing the best options you can choose.
How Do Database Comparison Tools Work?
Database comparison tools work by:
- Comparing and synchronizing databases.
- Presenting results after comparison.
- Saving a comparison plan.
- Exporting the results as a report in user-friendly forms like HTML, PDF, Excel, and so on.
Best Database Comparison Tools
Here are some of the best database comparison tools:
SQL Data Examiner
SQL Data Examiner is a multi-purpose data management tool that compares and synchronizes data in databases. With SQL Data Examiner, you can compare and synchronize the results of SQL queries with data stored in ordinary tables. It runs on Windows and supports data sync but does not have a free package. Though, it has a trial version.
The standard edition can:
- Work with MSSQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and Access.
- Migrate data between database servers.
- Verify data migration success.
- Consolidate data from databases to a master database.
The professional edition can:
- Perform a two-way master-slave replication.
- Setup scheduled comparison and synchronization.
- Copy data between any combination of data sources.
- Work with ODEBC or OLE DB data sources.
SQL Data Compare
Red Gate's SQL Data Compare is a database comparison tool for comparing and deploying SQL Server database contents. It helps to analyze databases and apply changes efficiently. With SQL Data Compare, you save time comparing and synchronizing data.
It runs on Windows and supports data sync but not schema compare and schema sync.
- Work with live databases, backups, or SQL scripts in source control.
- Can restore damaged or missing data to a single row without recovering the full database.
- Save time comparing and synchronizing data
- Generate T-SQL scripts to update one database with the contents of another
- Compare and synchronize data from within SQL Server Management Studio
- Deploy to SQL Server, SQL Azure, and SQL Server on Amazon RDS
- Automate comparison and synchronization tasks with SQL Change Automation
- Run SQL Data Compare Pro on your build server for continuous integration with SQL Change Automation
- Have zero errors.
- Do not have a free package.
SQL Server Data Tools
SQL Server Data Tools is a modern development tool for Visual Studio that helps to build SQL Server relational databases, databases in Azure SQL, Analysis Services (AS) data models, Integration Services (IS) packages, etc.
It analyzes and compares database schema and data and makes changes to the target database after comparison. It runs on Windows, supports schema compare and schema sync, and has a free edition.
- It provides SQL Server developers and administrators with dedicated client tools for day-to-day usage.
- Support all versions of SQL Server.
- Apply to Azure SQL database and Azure Synapse analytics.
- Treat your database like code.
- Can publish database schema
SQL Admin Studio
SQL Admin Studio is a powerful SQL Database Design & Management Tool designed for Software Developers & Database Administrators and is one of the best database comparison tools. It is a complete Database Management and Design Environment that supports SQL Server, MySQL, Express, Access, and MSDE.
Like most other database comparison tools, it runs on Windows.
- Connect to SQL Server, MS Access, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.
- Make database management easy.
- Supports drag-and-drop.
- Compare SQL database Schemas.
- Compare SQL database data.
- Execute queries.
OpenDBDiff is a database comparison tool for Microsoft SQL Server 2005+ and is one of the best comparison tools that reports schema differences and creates a synchronization script. It is a vast tool that supports several databases.
- Supports SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases.
- It can synchronize tables, constraints, columns, XML Schemas, etc.
- It is available for free.
DBComparer is an excellent tool for professional database comparison. It is designed to analyze the differences in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2005 database structures.
- It lets you compare databases by selecting some or all properties of objects.
- Supports database comparison automation.
- Supports several options for comparison.
- Built-in text differences control with SQL syntax highlighting.
- Advanced visual build tree interface for an intuitive visual representation of any differences.
Database comparison tools are essential in cross-database activities. They help save time and are far more efficient. The database comparison tools in this listicle are some of the best available, and they all run on Windows OS. While some are free, some of these tools only have paid plans, and some offer free trials.
You may also like to read:
Best Free Datagrip alternatives (Open Source)
Open-source Mailchimp Alternatives