In previous article, I have mentioned Best Free Datagrip alternatives (Open Source) now in this article, I have mentioned Best free and open source alternatives to Notion.
Notion is a project management and note-taking software. Notion is a software designed to help members of a company or organization coordinate deadlines, objectives, and assignments for the sake of efficiency and productivity.
So let's take a look at similar applications like Notion, which are open-source and free.
1. Standard Notes
Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app. It allows you to write and sync your notes across all your devices, including your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and web browser.
Private means your notes are end-to-end encrypted, so only you can read your notes. Even we can't read the contents of your notes.
- Seamless sync across all your devices, with easy to use applications on iPhone, iPad, Mac, web browsers, and other platforms.
- Offline access, so you can access your downloaded notes even without a connection.
- Passcode lock protection, along with Touch ID and Face ID protection.
- A tagging system to organize your notes (like #work, #ideas, #passwords, #crypto).
- Standard Notes Extended gives you productivity editors, beautiful themes and powerful cloud tools including daily backups
Zettlr is a supercharged markdown editor that combines many writing editor features and collect them in one application. It aims at speeding up your workflow and help you write without any interruptions. Therefore it integrates all features that one might need during a writing process.
- Free and Open-Source
- Supports many langauges ( da, de, en-GB, en-US, fr, it, es, hu, pl, ro, jp, zh, ru, uk)
- You can export docs in HTML, PDF, OpenDocument, Word, RTF, and 35 more.
- Full File and Folder Management
- Powerful Search Algorithm with a Heatmap
- Use Projects to split up expansive work in multiple files
TiddlyWiki, a unique non-linear notebook for capturing, organising and sharing complex information.
TiddlyWiki is a single html file with all the characteristics of a wiki - including all of the functionality (including editing, saving, tagging and searching) and the style sheet.
Because its a single file, its very portable, you can email it, put it on a web server or share it via a USB stick. It has a broad range of tools and an ever expanding plethora of plugins.
- Free to use
- You can use extensions for back-up and syncing with cloud
- Simple interface, yet flexible.
- It is very cross platform and doesn't tie you to any software
Logseq is a platform for knowledge sharing and management. It focuses on privacy, longevity, and user control.
The server will never store or analyze your private notes. Your data are plain text files and it currently support both Markdown and Emacs Org mode (more to be added soon).
- Logseq aims to help you organize, create to-do lists, and build a knowledge graph.
- You can use existing Markdown or org-mode files to simply edit, write, and save any new notes.
- By default, it relies on your local directory, but you can choose any cloud directory to sync via your file system.
- Ability to create a template from your existing resource to re-use it
- Add a custom theme by simply creating a custom.css file. There are available community-made files for quick use as well.
Focalboard is an open source alternative to tools like Asana, Trello, and Notion.
Available as a stand-alone application or integrated into the Mattermost platform, Focalboard helps developers stay aligned to complete tasks, reach milestones, and achieve their goals.
- Get Personal Desktop, a stand-alone single-user app for Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Mattermost Boards: A self-hosted or cloud server for your team to plan and collaborate.
- Mattermost Boards is the Mattermost plugin version of Focalboard that combines project management tools with messaging and collaboration for teams of all sizes.
- Focalboard can also be installed as a standalone Personal Server for development and personal use.
OpenProject is an open source software for project management with a wide set of features and plugins and an active international community.
It supports project timelines/Gantt charts, issue tracking, wiki, document management, time and cost reporting, code management, Scrum and much more.
- Free and open-source software (FOSS)
- Allows you to track time, task management, team collaboration etc.
- Working on several projects, OpenProject allows you to create a project structure with hierarchies.
- Using Gantt Chart, Create a project management plan that visualizes how and when the project team will deliver the work packages and milestones
That's it, these are some of the top notion open-source alternatives which you can use.
You may also like to read: