In previous article, I have mentioned Free Adobe Photoshop Alternative but now in this article, I have mentioned best free and open-source UI mockup tool, which a UI or Graphic designer, can use to create mock-ups or wireframe for free.
1. Pencil Project
Pencil project is an open-source GUI prototyping tool that's available for ALL platforms (Windows, Mac or Linux).
Pencil is built for the purpose of providing a free and open-source GUI prototyping tool that people can easily install and use to create mockups in popular desktop platforms.
- Easy GUI Prototyping
- Provides built-in shapes, Pencil provides various built-in shapes collection for drawing different types of user interface ranging from desktop to mobile platforms.
- Diagram Drawing Support
- You can have your drawing exported as a set of rasterized PNG files or as a web page that can be delivered to the viewers
- Pencil has a clipart browser tool that integrates with OpenClipart.org to let users easily find cliparts by keywords and added them into the drawing by a simple drag-and-drop operation
- Elements in a drawing can be linked to a specific page in the same document. This helps user define the UI flow when creating application or website mockups
Draw.io is a completely free and open-source wireframing software that feels similar in UI to Google Docs.
- Users can export designs to their Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, their desktop.
- Integrations with Gliffy, Lucidchart and more.
- Free and Browser based.
Wireframe.cc is one of the most popular wireframe open source tools out there that can be accessed by visiting its web source.
- You can draw a new element by clicking and dragging your mouse cursor across the canvas and selecting a stencil from a pop-up menu.
- Enabling the smart guides allows you to draw with greater precision and speed.
- You can export wireframes to a PDF file or a series of PNG files.
- Create master pages, so you don't need to create same elements in multiples pages
- Pages can be linked
Framebox is also another completely free wireframing tool on this list.
- It is a drag-and-drop tool that allows designers to sketch wireframes using UI elements.
- Save progress and History
- Free and Browser based.
- Allows you to create custom link and share it with team.
Mydraft.cc is a completely open source and free wireframing tool that is accessible anywhere you can use a browser.
- Free and browser based, so this is also cross-platform
- Drag and Drop functionality to add button, checkbox etc
- You can also add icons
- Can add multiple pages and link them
That's it, these were some of the top free and open-source UI tools or you can say free and open-source wireframe tools for Graphic designers.
You may also like to read: