In one of the previous article, I have mentioned How To Flip Screen On Windows Laptop. but in this article, I have mentioned how we can disable Cortana in Windows 10, using various possible methods.
As you know Cortana is usually helpful to gather your personal information, search data from interent quickly , showing notifications and setting calendar reminders, among its other specialties but Cortana will passively gather your data you and send it back to Microsoft, everything from your location to your browsing history. There isn't anything particularly sinister about this in theory, as Microsoft claim they're doing it to enhance their service and provide you with a more tailored experience. However, it's also not at all surprising that some people may prefer their information kept private, and Cortana kept in the dark.
So in this article I will guide you how to turn it off using Registry method, we'll specify a fix that puts down Cortana in both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Note: that this fix requires editing the registry, so be sure to backup first and proceed with great caution when attempting this fix.
Method 1: Turn Off Cortana editing Windows Registry
If you are using Windows 10 Home, disabling Cortana in Windows 10 Home through Windows Registry might be the best way. Now follow the instructions to turn off Cortana for Windows 10 Home computer.
- Open regedit the registry editor, from the search box on the taskbar.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
But Windows Search might not be there. It wasn't for us, so we had to create it.
a. Right-click the Windows folder and choose New>Key. Call it "Windows Search."
- Right click "Windows Search" and choose New > DWORD (32-bit Value).
- Name the DWORD "AllowCortana." Click it and make sure the value is "0."
- Restart the computer (or log out and log back in). Cortana will be replaced with a regular search bar.
While Cortana is gone, it's still hiding. You may find the program running in the background, but you might as well leave it there..
Method 2. Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Professional/Enterprise through Group Policy
There is another way also as Cortana is very integrated with Windows Search and fully disabling it will break Search. However, if you would like to keep Search functional, you can just disable the "Cortana-y" parts of Cortana.
For Windows 10 Professional or Windows 10 Enterprise users, modifying the Local Group Policy Editor could be the most efficient way to uninstall Cortana
To disable Cortana in windows 10 Professional/ Enterprise
- Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
- Type GPedit.msc and hit Enter or OK to open Local Group Policy Editor. Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search.
- In the right pane, double click on policy named Allow Cortana.
- Select the Disabled radio button.
- Restart the PC and Cortana and Bing Search will be disabled. (May work after signing out and in again).
If you need to re-enable Cortana again, just return here, double-click the “Enable Cortana” setting and change it to “Not Configured” or “Enabled”.
This policy setting specifies whether Cortana is allowed on the device. If you enable or don't configure this setting, Cortana will be allowed on the device. If you disable this setting, Cortana will be turned off.
With this set, users will still be able to use search to find things on the device and on the Internet.
You may also like to read: